Reading Endorsement Courses
- Competency 1: Foundations of Reading Instruction (60 points): Teachers will develop substantive understanding of six components of reading as a process: comprehension, oral language, phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, and vocabulary.
- Competency 2: Application of Research-Based Instructional Practices (60 points): Participants must complete Competency 1 before taking Competency 2. Teachers will scaffold student learning by applying their learning from Competency 1. Participants must post high quality assignments weekly in this graduate level course.
- Competency 3: Foundations of Assessment (60 points): Participants must complete Competencies 1 & 2 before taking Competency 3. Teachers will understand how to select and administer appropriate assessments and analyze data to inform reading instruction to meet the needs of all students.
- Competency 4: Foundations and Applications of Differentiated Instruction (60 points): Participants must complete Competencies 1, 2, and 3 before taking Competency 4. Teachers will have a broad knowledge of students from differing profiles in order to understand and apply research-based instructional practices by differentiating process, product, and context.
- Competency 5: Demonstration of Accomplishment (60 points):Participants must complete Competencies 1, 2, 3, & 4 before taking Competency 3. Teachers will, through a culminating practicum, demonstrate knowledge of the components of Reading, as well as assessments and data analysis, to implement a comprehensive research-based reading plan of instruction for all students.